Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Radish Harvest



The first of our radish harvest is in!  I'm not entirely sure how the kitchen will use this first batch because it's kind of small.  We had planned to plant them in smaller portions so we don't have a massive amount at once, but I'm finding that you can't do much with the smaller portions and all of these campers.  So I planted twice as much last week (they go from planting to harvest in about 30 days).  They're all different colors, from red to purple to white, because the variety is called "Easter Egg".  I also think that I will make more of an effort to thin the seedlings of the next batch so that we get bigger ones.

Everything else is up now, but the beets and carrots were difficult to get started because the weeds started in so early and I didn't want to weed in those areas until I saw the plants for fear of pulling them as well.  I think several plants were choked out or unable to even get sunlight because of all the weeds surrounding them.  Spiritual insights are abundant in a garden!  My time weeding has taught me much.

The potatoes and sweet peas are probably doing the very best here!  Ryan helped with the tiller the other day and saved me from all that hoeing.  He went around and hilled the potatoes to get a better production.  So far, we have used no fertilizer or any other chemical on the garden.  Will we be able to continue that way?  I hope so!  I hear that the "popper" seaweed (named because it sounds like that bubble wrap when you step on it) that gets washed up on shore here is a fantastic fertilizer, but I haven't utilized it yet.

The green beans are probably just going to die.  I have heard they don't do that well here unless covered and kept warm and while they came up, they are quickly fading.  At least we tried!  I didn't plant too many, so not much of a waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment